Saturday, February 04, 2012

New word to hate.

At the privacy symposium I went to, I heard a word I had never heard before.  It goes on my list of words I absolutely detest for aesthetic reasons, along with polyamory and gifted (as a verb).  That word is ....


"Monetize."  As in "You found a way to monetize your information."*

*shudder*

I guess it's not enough any more to say things like "Did you find a way to turn a profit on this?"  I am all for using fewer words, but this one is simply ridiculous.

*Actual quote from a discussion about drones and privacy.

1 comment:

  1. I have a belated comment:

    Monetize is not a new word (I work for a university.... it gets said here)

    But here's a new word to like (at least it's new to me)

    Bogosity

    I read it today in Paul Krugman's column:
    http://www.truth-out.org/conservatives-twist-economic-debate/1329850101

    Inspired to learn more, I found myself at this page filled with lovely units of measurement:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_humorous_units_of_measurement
    Some will be familiar, some new, many hilarious.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete