Friday, February 17, 2012

Music of the soul.


Darkness is a harsh term don't you think?
And yet it dominates the things I seek

"Roll Away Your Stone," Mumford and Sons.


So, you buy the new music.  You listen with one ear and half your brain, thinking "that's really nice" for Bruno Mars "Just the Way You Are," or "interesting -- sort of a country/rap hybrid" for Jason Aldean's "Dirt Road Anthem." And you work your way down the "Purchased" playlist, sipping your mocha and procrastinating on emailing the Rick Steve's people. And then...

A song comes on.  After the first verse, you quickly go to iTunes, and restart it, listening closely. After the song is done, you replay it, and go online to find the lyrics and read along with the music.  And you breathe deeply and marvel at the universality of the human experience, that someone on another continent could write a song that so closely fits into your soul.

I did not write "Roll Away Your Stone." Marcus Mumford did.  But damn....

I cannot say I would have written it if I were a songwriter.  I don't think I would have had the emotional honesty to do so. But I am very glad he did.

The great banjo work is mere lagniappe.


No comments:

Post a Comment