Thursday, February 09, 2012

Did you know that "earworm" is the literal translation of the German "ohrwurm"? Now you do!

At any given time, I don't really get an earworm.  I get earworms, plural.  All too often, one tune will chase another around my head like squirrels around a tree.

Sometimes, it starts with something I hear, which for melodic, lyrical, or historical (either mine or the song's) reasons will remind me of something else.  (The absolute worst earworm? Weird Al's "Christmas at Ground Zero" morphing seamlessly into "Jingle Bell Rock.")  Sometimes it's pretty random.

Tonight's earworms come courtesy of the Moody Blues and the band It's A Beautiful Day. "Your Wildest Dreams" drifted into "Tuesday Afternoon" which for no discernible reason flowed into "White Bird."

This led me to buy the latter two songs from iTunes.  iTunes loves it when I get earworms -- half the time I do not own the music in question and am compelled to go out to buy it.  Come to think of it, that's probably how I ended up buying "Heart of Glass" by Blondie.

Aaarrrrgggghhhh. Just writing the name of that song has readjusted the jukebox in my head.

Time to go listen to some Garth Brooks.*

At least it's better than Madonna.

*To my friends who despise country -- you know who you are -- stop snickering.  It's not like I am making you listen to "Friends In Low Places." I like it precisely because it does not tend to get stuck in my head, although "Two Pina Coladas"......aaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh.

3 comments:

  1. There's a German language song by the a capella group Wise Guys, called "Ich Bin Dein Ohrwurm."

    And an Ohrwurm it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I think it's funny. They're a fun group, and some of the songs have very clever humor - but I need to work hard to figure out the puns etc in German.

    ReplyDelete