Wednesday, April 04, 2012

What exactly do you mean by "a sense of humor"?

The secret to success is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've got it made. Jean Giradoux

Dear Foundation:

You, as well as the organization I applied to yesterday, state that one of your important qualifications is "a sense of humor."  While I happen to think that I have an excellent sense of humor, I am baffled as to how to communicate that on a resume or a cover letter.  I know that if I get an interview I may well be able to thrill you with my genuine wit and sparkling repartee,* but I need to get that interview first.

Also, upon further reflection, what does it mean about working conditions when you need a sense of humor to be successful? Humor takes you a long way in dealing with other people, especially in the workplace, but is yours so stressful that laughing is important to keep from crying?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Sincerely,

Your potential Administrative Associate.


*Sarcasm mode engaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment