Friday, April 06, 2012

It's Opening Day!

"It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone."

A. Bartlett Giamatti
President of the American League
Commissioner of Baseball
for far too short a time
One of the Good Guys


I have a post in mind, I swear, about baseball and what it means to me, complete with appropriate quotes from Ken Burns's wonderful series Baseball.  I am just not sure I will get to it today, and it is important to mark this beginning of the better half of the sporting year.  In the meantime, I wanted to reacquaint you with this quote by Bart Giamatti, one of the best Commissioners the MLB ever had. (I worry that he will end up being remembered chiefly as the father of the actor Paul Giamatti.)

Also, I wanted to link to a post I made six years ago (six years? how the hell did that happen?), about another baseball season.

No comments:

Post a Comment