Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Playlist for today...

"Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On," Jimmy Buffett*
"Closer to Fine," Indigo Girls
"End of the Line," The Traveling Wilburys
"Corner Of The Sky," John Rubinstein (from Pippin)**
"Happiness," Anthony Rapp, B.D. Wong, Ilana Levine, Kristin Chenoweth, Roger Bart and Stanley Wayne Mathis (from the revival of  You're A Good Man Charlie Brown)
"Here Comes The Sun," The Beatles
"I Am What I Am,"  George Hearn (from La Cage Aux Folles)
"All Star," Smash Mouth
"Kyrie," Mr. Mister
"Life Support," (from Rent)
"Move On," Bernadette Peters and Mandy Patinkin (from Sunday in the Park with George)
"The River," Garth Brooks
"Asking Us To Dance," Kathy Mattea
"Ordinary Day," Great Big Sea
"Something Beautiful," Great Big Sea
"The Bug,"  Mary Chapin Carpenter
"We Shall Be Free," Garth Brooks
"Defying Gravity," Kristin Chenoweth, and Idina Menzel (from Wicked)
"Bridge Over Troubled Water," Simon & Garfunkel
"Travelin' Thru" Dolly Parton

Why yes, we were trying for a inspirational theme, why do you ask?

And yes, I realize that I followed a song about chasing the sun over the horizon to find the place where you belong with a song about celebrating very simple pleasures.  They seemed to fit together: I think I need to do more of each of those (metaphorically in the former case).

* I am bothered a bit about this song,  except that I remember that Buffett was from Pascagoula, and has lots of friends, families and memories in that region (not to mention a restaurant in New Orleans), so I am willing to cut him a little slack for what otherwise might seem like callousness.
** Having yesterday had a long conversation about how being an artist does not automatically mean you are a decent human being (centering around Frank Lloyd Wright), it occurred to me today that this song has strong (Ayn) Randian overtones.  I have not seen the musical (I have not particularly liked the other songs I have heard from it), but I keep feeling that there is an even chance that Pippin was a selfish, whiny jerk.  I still like the song, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment