Monday, April 02, 2012

This post by Reginald Braithwaite at raganwald's posterous identifies the problem of employers -- or prospective employers -- demanding to see people's private social media posts with precision and humor.  My favorite sentence?
I’m extremely vague on the correlation between faux-promiscuous sex or drinking and employee performance, but as she is a seasoned veteran, I have to trust her when she says that things like this overrule my judgment as to who is and who isn’t fit to be a programmer in our employ.

For myself, all my Facebook, LiveJournal and Twitter posts are friends' locked for a reason.  I do not want just anyone looking at them. (Although, to be perfectly honest, you would learn more about me reading this blog than you would from my Facebook page.  FB is for people who already know me.)

And yes, I suppose I should be more circumspect when blogging here, but, given that this is not so much social media as a creative endeavor, I think this xkcd cartoon covers that territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment