Friday, June 24, 2011

Okay, okay, so I may be wrong.

[Thinking is] what a great many people think they are doing when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.  William James

So, after my sniping about musicals made from non-musical movies*,  I took a look at my iTunes.

Ahem, I may be wrong.

In addition to The Producers, there were Hairspray, Spamalot, La Cage Aux Folles, Mame, 42d Street (the movie had only five songs, the show had 23),  The Kiss of The Spider Woman, and Legally Blonde from the library. Not to mention individual songs from Sunset Boulevard, Victor/Victoria, and Little Shop of Horrors.  And now Sister Act.

And then there is My Fair Lady.  Although  from the George Bernard Shaw play,  it also draws from the 1938 movie Pygmalion starring Leslie Howard.

Okay, okay.  I will now have an open mind, or at least a more open mind.

I still think Mama Mia! is a waste of good stage acreage, though.

*Then there is the issue of making musicals into movies: there is Chicago, and on the other hand there is Rent.

No comments:

Post a Comment