Saturday, June 18, 2011

Food for thought... or maybe not.


One way to know that all your teenage or twenty-something kids are home for the summer is when the household blows through four gallons of milk and a gallon of orange juice in five days. Not to mention bread, cibatta rolls, muffins, bagels,* peanut butter, pasta, jarred spaghetti sauce, sliced and shredded cheddar and grated parmesan cheese.... I guess I should feel lucky that two of the three are vegetarians, as fruit is so much less expensive than meat. (12 Gala apples and three pounds of grapes gone like that – they haven't started on the satsumas and the bananas, yet. Yesterday, I overheard the Red-Headed Menace telling his brother, “Several apples a day keeps the doctor away.”)

“Growing boys,” hell. Plague of locusts is more like it. The Red-Headed Menace even refers to himself that way. The fact that he is training for cross-country in the fall has meant an insane increase in his appetite. I am beginning to think he is working on eating his weight in pasta every day.

I am already looking forward to them being back in school. If nothing else, it should be cheaper.

*Yes, I know. They are really bread donuts, not proper bagels, since proper bagels do not exist outside of NYC. I have been thoroughly indoctrinated into the cult of the New York Bagel.

No comments:

Post a Comment