Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Appearances can be deceiving. Or maybe not.

For those of us who talk to ourselves (not to mention the nagging voices in our heads), the evolution of Bluetooth and other hands-free cellular technology has been a godsend.  People see us alone in our cars talking earnestly, and assume we are in the middle of some important business deal, or, in my case, yelling at my children.

Singing in your car is a little tricky.  You need to be subtle, and watch the head movements. Not to mention keeping your shoulders still.

Somehow, I don't think anyone was fooled into thinking I was talking on the phone who saw me in my car this morning, singing along to "Putting It Together"* at the top of  my lungs and gesticulating wildly with the hand that was not gripping the steering wheel.

Back to people thinking I'm crazy.

*"Putting It Together" is a completely brilliant song.  Sondheim does an excellent job of describing a character's predicament and skewering the contemporary art scene at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment