Saturday, June 11, 2011

In the remote case that anyone is interested: more on my Sondheim obsession

What's on my "Sondheim CD" playlist:

The Advantages of Floating In the Middle of the Sea, Pacific Overtures
The Ballad of Booth,  Assassins
Buddy's Blues, Follies
Chromolume #7/Putting It Together, Sunday in the Park with George
Comedy Tonight, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum
Could I Leave You?, Follies
Everything's Coming Up Roses, Gypsy
Gee, Officer Krupke, West Side Story
I'm Still Here,  Follies
The Ladies Who Lunch,  Company
A Little Priest, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street
The Little Things You Do Together, Company
Maria, West Side Story
Move On, Sunday in the Park with George
Send in the Clowns, A Little Night Music
A Weekend in the Country, A Little Night Music

And that does not include music from Into the Woods.  Both original and revival casts are included here. Performers include Ethel Merman, Mandy Patinkin, Bernadette Peters, Angela Lansbury,  Zero Mostel, Elaine Stritch,  B.D. Wong and Neil Patrick Harris.

The great things is one could make Sondheim CDs with music to cover all sort of emotional situations; I know, I've done it.  Well, most unhappy situations: as I said, his work does not lend itself to "fun."

When I have been struggling with life decisions and regrets, I play "Move On."  When I struggle with relationships, I sing along to "Send in the Clowns." (Or, depending upon my level of fury,  "The Little Things You Do Together" and "Could I Leave You?") When I am trying to get up the courage to follow my heart, I listen to "Putting It Together" (probably not the best choice).  When I am feeling bleak and cynical, I listen to "Ladies Who Lunch" and "A Little Priest."  When I am in an amused mode, "Gee, Officer Krupke" and "Buddy's Blues." And from Into the Woods, "Agony (Reprise)."  When I am having one of those "kitten on a limb" days (remember that poster?), there is "I'm Still Here." And "Everything's Coming Up Roses."

My current Sondheim wish list is the entire Assassins soundtrack, as well as those from the ones I don't have yet:  Do You Hear A Waltz (music by Richard Rogers), Merrily We Roll Along, Anyone Can Whistle, Passion, and Bounce.  [EDITED TO ADD:  and the revival of Gypsy from either 2003 (with Bernadette Peters) or 2008 (with Patti Lupone), and, for completeness' sake, the 1997 production of Saturday Night.] As well as Look, I Made a Hat: Collected Lyrics (1981-2011) with Attendant Comments, Amplifications, Dogmas, Harangues, Wafflings, Diversions and Anecdotes.   Unfortunately, that last item does not come out until November 2011. (Note to people who buy me Christmas presents: This. Is. What. I. Want.)


I can hardly wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment