Monday, November 08, 2010

Updates


I decided not to do National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) after all, my extensive research *cough* drive down to San Simeon *cough* notwithstanding.  I really need to spend the time job hunting, and besides, further contemplation convinced me that it would not be possible to write this novel at all convincingly -- or even at all, really -- unless I did extensive research that involved driving from the Bay Area to Ocean City, Maryland by way of Chicago. (Don't ask.)

I may someday, however,  "So don't ask where I'm going / just listen when I'm gone / And far away you'll hear me singing / Softly to the dawn..."*

It's just as well that I didn't do NaNoWriMo -- I have no laptop.  I am sitting uncomfortably writing at the desktop Mac we have on our counter, which requires me to perch uncomfortably on a bar stool to reach the required height.  (The kids do just fine with this which is why it hasn't  been moved somewhere lower.)

 This is also why I have not written anything here in several days -- freaking laptop computer won't boot off  of anything.  And while it is possible to post short FaceBook updates standing up, standing is not conducive to composing longer pieces, especially anything that requires a) thought or b) revisions. I have a piece I am dying to write about Jimmy Buffett and cultural appropriation but which is going to have to wait until I have a more comfortable computing environment.  Retrieving my resume is going to be a joy all its own.  Sheesh.

Speaking of this blog, I was retrieving my email in a very silly mood this morning, when I got an email offer from Vistaprint for 250 "premium business cards" for $1.99.  Now, I already am awash in business cards:  I have my personal ones which I am supposed to use for networking (hah!) but which are not terribly business-like (pretty, and reflecting my own aesthetic sensibilities, but too colorful to be business like), I have ones from two years ago when I was actually making jewelry enough to sell (pmgDesigns) and some my husband made for me years ago, when I complained that all those contests for free breakfasts in restaurants required you to drop in a business card and I didn't have any.  He put the url of this blog on them, but also put an email address I now normally only use for business email, and not the one associated with the blog.

So... I bought business cards, with a picture of windmills on them, "Wild Winds of Fortune," the url, and our unofficial slogan: "Tilting at Windmills Since 2006." I also bought a single pen (free!) and a cap (free!) with the design, blog name, slogan, and url. It was a moment of insanity, but a cheap one -- less than ten dollars including shipping.  What I am going to do with blog cards rather escapes me just at the moment.  Anybody want some?  I'll let you know when they come in.  The hat and the pen, however, I am excited about.

My housemate claims that this is simply a way of me affirming my commitment to writing here.  Nah, I just wanted to have cool looking cards. And a way cool cap.

As I said, I will be posting from odd places,** so don't expect a lot until I get a new laptop or at least a desktop with a chair I can feel comfortable in.  I'll check in when I can.





*"Corner of the Sky" from Pippin
**As opposed to my normal posting places: Starbucks, Red Rock Cafe, the public library...

No comments:

Post a Comment