Thursday, November 25, 2010

Recipe: Cranberry & Pineapple Sauce, Key Lime Pie

Cranberry & Pineapple Sauce

I'm just putting this here so, no matter what happens, I'll have it available, since it is a recipe I developed this year.

1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 can chunk pineapple, drained and chopped -- where you get the pineapple juice from! (chopped chunk pineapple has more structure than crushed pineapple)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 package cranberries (I believe it was a pound, but can't remember: I think it was four cups)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
pine nuts or pomegranate seeds (optional)

Dissolve the sugars in the pineapple juice in a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil, and add both types of cranberries.  Cook until the fresh cranberries have pretty much exploded. -- this will take probably 10 - 15 minutes. (I can't really explain it -- you have to see it.) Pull off heat, add pineapple, let cool completely.  Refrigerate overnight.  If desired, the next day just before serving stir in pine nuts or pomegranate seeds.

Key Lime Pie

This is pretty much Emeril Lagasse's recipe, except that Emeril makes his own pie shell, and places sour cream on top. And no ginger.

1 graham cracker pie crust
2 cans of sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
1 cup Key lime juice (note: do NOT use regular lime juice, the pie will not be tart enough.  You can either juice Key limes -- annoying little buggers -- or buy Key lime juice (available in some supermarkets).)
1/4 cup crystallized (sugared) ginger, chopped fine

Bake graham cracker crust according to directions, let cool completely.  (Or not.  I use mine without cooking -- the Keebler elves tell me I can -- and the pie turns out fine.)

Preheat oven to 325.  Whisk together the eggs, lime juice, and condensed milk.  Pour into the pie shell, bake for 15 minutes.  Sprinkle chopped ginger on top.  Refrigerate for two hours, at least.

My family likes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment