Monday, November 15, 2010

I'm doing something right.

Last weekend a local college had a program of various classes for junior and high school students.  Railfan (aka middle son) took a fascinating class on the impact of Japanese culture on gaming, which after we talked about it, I wished I could have taken.

Echidna Boy took three classes: one on using your Macintosh productively,* one on the cosmology of black holes, and one on the sociology of sex, dating and marriage. (The last two reserved for high school students.)

We had a fascinating discussion after the last one. (As opposed to the cosmology course, where I could only decipher about half of what he was enthusiastically talking about.) During our discussion, he turned to the issue of "types."

"I figured out I have a type of girl I'm attracted to, Mom," he said.  "My favorite type of girl is very smart, athletic, and thinks for herself."

Whoa... no pretty? no popular? no sweet?  His type of girl is smart?  athletic?  independent-minded?


Yesssss!!!!

I have trained this kid well.**

* Since he was later that evening trying to access root on the iMac to get "superuser" powers, he didn't really learn much he didn't already know.
** Okay, I would have been slightly more happy if he had said "creative" rather than athletic, but that's only because athletic people intimidate me.

No comments:

Post a Comment