Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thought for the day, courtesy of Matt Stone and Trey Parker

Heavenly Father, why do you let bad things happen?
More to the point, why do you let bad things happen to me?*

"Man Up,"** from The Book of Mormon

*No, nothing terrible, life is just generally not wonderful right now.  I know I should count my blessings, and I do, and there are a lot of people (some of whom are sitting in various city parks around the country) who are facing much more serious problems than I am.  I just had to laugh when I heard this line this morning -- or reheard it, since I have listened to the song before -- because there are times when I think this.

**There is an entirely separate rant in here about both the ridiculousness and the sexism implicit in this ludicrous phrase.  Not to mention the other phrase in the song, "grow a pair" -- why would anyone want to who didn't already have them? Testicles are notoriously fragile organs.  Kick me where you suppose my ovaries to be, and it will  hurt; kick a guy in the crotch and you can do real and lasting damage. (I am not the first woman to think this, of course. Betty White is reported to have said "Why do people say 'Grow some balls'? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding!")

No comments:

Post a Comment