Friday, July 29, 2011

No to go on about this...

I had talked about how I needed to find a way to make my trivia abilities a paying proposition. Last night, I did, sort of.

The scene: an Applebee's in San Jose. 
The set-up: a local trivia contest (i.e., not from a company such as BuzzTime or Brainstormer). Each round was a timed ten-question multiple choice test. The person with the most correct answers wins the round. In the case of a tie the person who turned their sheet in first wins.
The results: Four rounds. Four first answers in. Four wins. Not even close, really: not only was I the first person to turn their answers in, in each round I had the most correct answers. In the last round, they knew I had won before anyone else turned their sheet in:  I was first, and I ran the round. (I overheard the scorer talking to the manager.)

Fifty dollars in gift certificates: ten for each of the first three rounds, twenty for the last.  The manager did not look pleased.

The Resident Shrink (who was an amused bystander) and I figured out if we can just find other Applebee's with similar set-ups, we could be set.  Of course, it's Applebee's, not a really nice restaurant, but still... I have covered my jello shots and Sangria from last night, as well as the Resident Shrink's lemonade and dessert.  I have also covered next week's -- and the week after's -- drinks and bar snacks.

All of this eases my deep sense of failure at doing so poorly on Jeopardy! all those years ago.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment