Monday, July 11, 2011

My new resolution for, well.. a while, at least

I have spent quite of time bitching online and off about the weather around here the past few months.*  Two nights ago, I saw a Weather Channel show on The Top 5 Weather Disasters, followed by The Top 5 Tornadoes and The Top 5 Hurricanes.

Those top 5 weather disasters included hurricanes, the great Super Storm of 1993, tornadoes, floods and the Dust Bowl. (I lived through the Super Storm in 1993,  in Northern Virginia.  In a house with no heat except that provided by two small space heaters, just me and a two and a half year old.  The Rocket Scientist had had to fly to California, poor baby.  The furnace died just about the same time the storm hit, and in driving snow I -- and the toddler -- went to the closest Lowe's and bought what were literally the last two space heaters available in the store, and probably in the area.**  The toddler (the Not So Little Drummer Boy when he was really little, and before he had discovered drums) and I huddled upstairs in one room except when I would go downstairs and fix us food.  This is not an experience I would recommend to anyone.)

Where I live, we only get the very occasional earthquake. It seems not worth mentioning. 

So I hereby resolve not to whine... at least not until fall, when we get those two weeks of really hot weather.

* Not today, though: it is 72 degrees and sunny, with crystal clear cornflower skies.

**And boy, are they good space heaters.  It is now eighteen years later, and they work just fine -- we use them in the winter sometimes when it gets chilly.

No comments:

Post a Comment