Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It's been a day.

The freezer died yesterday.  It is difficult to tell if it is totally gone, or just has frozen up and needs to be defrosted (it's an old freezer).*  So last night I and the Resident Shrink went out and bought dry ice, and spent a while tossing things out of the freezer which were too far gone (i.e., the chicken and thawed frozen french fries) or probably should not have been saved in the first place, such as last Christmas's extra pan of stuffing. (George Carlin has this issue covered, I think.)

This morning was spent cooking hamburger patties on the grill and ground beef on the stove so that we could more easily fit them in the limited fridge space we had left.  (Of course, Sunday had been a Costco run, so there was pretty much no fridge space, except that the self described "horde of locusts" and "zombies that eat everything except brains" had had three days to whittle down the food supply.  Not to mention when they had their teenage-boy friends over.)  Tonight will be spaghetti with meat sauce, tomorrow will be tacos, and lunches all this week will be cheeseburgers. At least for the carnivores: the vegetarians (read RHM, mostly) will eat tortellini and frozen pizza.

One thing did help, though, although I perhaps did not recognize how much at the time: when I was at my most my stressed this morning, Railfan not only helped politely and cheerfully, several times he asked me to look at him, and he smiled to try and cheer me up.

You know, no matter how bad it gets, I have my family.  And I love them.

*It is all the Rocket Scientist's fault.  When he went to Morocco earlier this year, the kitchen sink sprung a major leak.  He goes to the Arctic, and the freezer dies.  He just has to stop leaving the country.

1 comment: