Monday, July 11, 2011

Another list of fifty things.

As I said in the title of a post the other day, I have been feeling pretty blue lately.  The reasons for those are complex, and much of it is nothing I can (or more accurately, am willing to) discuss in such a public space.  So I think it is time for another list to remind myself of the good things that are out there.  (It will undoubtedly be somewhat redundant with previous lists.) If life has been pretty good for you, please skip.  If it has been as crappy for you as for me, I hope this helps:

The baristas at the Starbucks two blocks from my house.
Venti Non-fat Half-Caf Mocha Coconut Frappucinos.
Caltrain.
San Francisco.
Muir Woods.
Redwood trees.
Crepe Myrtles that are just beginning to bloom.
Garlic herb sourdough bread from the Arcangeli Bakery in Pescadero, California.
Marianne's and Rick's Rather Rich Ice Cream.
Phish Food.
Food Network.
The Internet.
Blogger.
And yes, FaceBook.
Apple Computers.
Georgia (my computer).
Georgia O'Keefe.
Writing.
That none of the cars are in the shop.
Lands' End clothing.
Grilled corn-on-the-cob.
Other people's birthdays.
We are past the solstice.*
Fourteen year olds who are trying to refine their ability to tell truly awful jokes, and only partly succeeding.
Seventeen year olds who smile and hug you for no reason.
Twenty year olds who make coffee -- good coffee -- in the morning.
Knowing that, while it saddens me that my kids are growing up and away from me, they still talk to me.  I may have done something right.
That all of us are in (relatively) good health.
The China Mieville book (Krakken) which I have just started reading and which looks to be very good.
Mary Chapin Carpenter.
The Beatles.
Great Big Sea.
Show tunes.
Stephen Sondheim.
Singing in the car.
Pandora radio.
Pandora the cat.
Penwiper the cat.
The works of Connie Willis.
Swarovksi crystals.
The meds which pretty much make it possible for me to keep on keeping on.
Decent health insurance, which makes me very lucky.
Hawks.
Hummingbirds.
The Pacific Ocean.
The color blue, in all shades, but especially jewel-like royal blue.
Art. Except for that of Mark Rothko and Barnett Newman.
Good people.
Love, in all its myriad forms and with all its range of associated emotions and complications.
Life.

*I know for some of you this is not a feature but a bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment