Friday, September 10, 2010

Movie Quotes

I actually have two substantive political posts in process.  I am too brain-dead to work on them right now, so I decided to write fluff.

Tonight, on FaceBook (I have been spending a lot of time on FB lately, so sue me)  I found occasion to write some of my favorite movie lines.  Here are twenty of my favorites, in no particular order (they're from memory, so if I don't get them exactly right feel free to correct me in comments).  The starred ones are ones I have actually used in conversation, more or less:

1.  "Are you crying? There's no crying in baseball!"* A League of Their Own  (I've used this at actual Little League baseball practices.)
2.  "Aristotle was not Belgian.  The London Underground is not a political movement.  And the central tenet of Buddhism is not "every man for himself."  A Fish Called Wanda
3. Also, from the same movie: "I've worn dresses with higher IQs than you!"
4.  "Houston, we have a problem."* Apollo 13 (Okay, as the wife of a NASA lifer, what do you expect?  I say this to my kids.)
5. "What we've got here is a failure to communicate."* Cool Hand Luke (Again, a favorite to say to my kids.)
6.  "I coulda been a contender."* On the Waterfront (Let's not discuss Jeopardy!, shall we?)
7.  "...So do all who live in such times ... All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
8. "It's 106 miles to Chicago.  We have a full tank of gas, a half pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."* The Blues Brothers (There was this trip where we drove across the Midwest.  I must have repeated this quote across all of Illinois, usually followed by a giggle.  My family was not amused.)
9.  "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."* The Wizard of Oz. (See above comment.)
10. "So what? Noah was a drunk.  Look at what he accomplished."  (Dogma, the best movie about religion ever made.  There was also a hysterical opening screen about platypi, but I can't remember the exact wording.)
11. "Badges? "We don't need no stinkin' badges!"* Treasure of the Sierra Madre (usually used with something substituting for the word "Badges")
12.  "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."* Finding Nemo (Usually repeated to myself as a mantra.)
13. "I didn't recognize you without the handcuffs." Rent
14. "It will work itself out." "But how?" "I don't know, it's a mystery."* Shakespeare in Love
15. "It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage."* Raiders of the Lost Ark
16. "I love you!" "I know."* The Empire Strikes Back (Quite frankly, after that exchange, Han deserved to be frozen in carbonite.)
17. "I am shocked! shocked! to find gambling going on here!" (Casablanca.  In fact Casablanca is a gold mine for great quotes.)
18. "We'll always have Paris. We didn't have, we, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.... But I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that." (also from Casablanca)
19. "Look, it's Ethel Barrymore!" (Singing in the Rain.)
20. "Look, Princess, let's get one thing straight - the only person I take orders from is me." "It's a wonder you're still alive." (Star Wars)

And one I hope my kids never say again: "There can be only one Highlander!" (Okay, so we were in Scotland, but still.  On the other hand, I think they were getting back at me for the Blues Brothers quote the year before.)

My favorite movie quote exchange came at the Apple store.  The "genius" and I were trying to get an operating system problem resolved, and the laptop was simply not cooperating.  I softly said, "Open the pod bay doors, HAL," and, without missing a beat, the Apple guy came back, "I can't do that, Dave."

What are your favorite quotes?

No comments:

Post a Comment