Saturday, December 01, 2012

Silver Linings Playbook.

In my quest to see as many potential Oscar contenders as possible this year, this evening I went to see Silver Linings Playbook.  I'm not quit sure how I feel about it.

It has been rated quite highly: it got "Must Go" recommendations from both audience and critics on Fandango, a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a solid A from Entertainment Weekly.  And in many places it works.  Jennifer Lawrence is good, but Bradley Cooper is great.  And if there is no Best Supporting Actor nod for Robert De Niro, there is no justice in the world.

But there are other places where it fails to gel.  The relationship between the protagonist, Pat, and his doctor, for example: it was totally unrealistic. And there were other places where the movie felt off-kilter or forced.

So... I don't know.  Maybe after I've thought about it for a couple of days, I can do a proper review.

No comments:

Post a Comment