Monday, September 19, 2011

Monday morning musings....

Words I never would have thought I would hear in actual conversation: "Then I used a moles to cups conversion...." The Red-Headed Menace, discussing his determination of the chemical makeup of Bisquick.  Yesterday's quote of the day: "I've figured out the chemical composition of Bisquick! Chemistry rocks!"

My little geek.  I am so proud of him. Not that I really trust that he's found the actual composition of Bisquick -- what formulation did he use for flour, given that various flours have differing levels of gluten, for example? -- but more that he thought it was a fun and interesting way to spend an hour.

[Edited to add: A comment in the Resident Shrink's LiveJournal, "It could be worse. If he were a budding mathematician instead of a budding chemist, he would have spent half an hour doing the calculations, declared that he had proven that a recipe for pancakes exists, and then spent the rest of the evening watching TV."]

*****

The Not-So-Little Drummer Boy taught me years ago to listen to the underlying elements of a recording, as well as the whole.  This morning, I am once again struck by how completely kick-ass the tambourine part in the Beatles' "Day Tripper" is.

*****

Speaking of the Beatles, and the Red-Headed Menace, yesterday he launched into an enthusiastic explanation of how the bridge from "Polythene Pam" to "She Came In From the Bathroom Window" was simply incredible, and the best thing the Beatles ever did. Preaching to the choir, kid.

*****

I almost never sign up for extended warranties, especially those that the salesman says "You can cancel at any time..."  I always forget to cancel, and then end up paying more than the actual cost of the item in fees.   When I bought my phone in March, I signed up for the "Total Equipment Coverage" from Verizon just to get my phone shipped to me sooner. "You can cancel this just as soon as you get your phone," the sales manager told me.   Did I cancel it? No, of course not.  The new smart phone had so many additional charges (for data usage plans, mainly) that I completely zoned on the fact that there was an additional $6.99 per month I didn't really need to be paying.

Maybe that was a good thing.  On Saturday, while it was plugged in and charging, a knapsack and a blanket were piled on top of the phone.  (Not by me, I might add.) When I finally discovered it, it was so hot I burned my hand.  I'm just lucky it didn't catch fire -- I have heard of instances where things like this did.  Of course, the phone was completely trashed. But since it was covered, I just had to go to the Verizon store, explain what happened, and my new phone should arrive tomorrow.*

So I will be getting a replacement Droid for $42, which was paid in monthly installments.  I can certainly live with that.

*****
And, once again, it be International Talk Like a Pirate Day! As a friend of mine on Facebook said, "Sheel! Jidee raadin!" (That would be "Stop! Allow search!" in Somali.**)

Here's hopin' you have  a fair wind and smooth sailin'. Arrrgh.


* If you are reading this, and you are someone who communicates with me by phone, just a reminder that I will be unreachable until sometime on the 20th or 21st.
** Yes, I nearly spit out my coffee, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment