Tuesday, September 13, 2011

9/11, ten years on.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.  Helen Keller

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.  Benjamin Franklin 


I said on Sunday that that was not the day to discuss my thoughts about 9/11 from the perspective of ten years on.  Today, however, is.

Looking back on that horrific day and all the 3,652 that followed, one thing becomes abundantly clear to me:

The terrorists won.

They won with the assistance of the government, the media, and large segments of the American populace. They accomplished their goal of turning us against each other, of destroying the nation we are, or were.

To be clear, the object of terrorism is not to kill people.  The main object is to instill terror.  Abortion clinics are bombed not just to hurt anyone inside, but to make any woman think twice about going into one, and any health care provider hesitate to work there.  For every abortion doctor killed, there are others who decide to either go out of the business or never begin in the first place.

The 9/11 bombers, and those behind them, managed to make us lose our collective minds.  They made us afraid of anyone who appeared Middle Eastern, resulting in stories like this one of an American citizen being pulled off a plane, held for hours, having to face the humiliation of being stripped searched, all because she was a dark-skinned woman who happened to be seated with two dark-skinned men in the same row, and who had the gall to be using her cell phone.  Suspicious activity, indeed.  Clearly, a terrorist cell at work.

They turned us into a nation that.... No, we turned ourselves into a nation that would be complacent about arresting and detaining people for years without any real level of due process because they were suspected terrorists.  Where individuals that the government admitted were innocent were held because they could not go back to their homeland without fear of death and God forbid that we admit our mistakes and allow them to stay in the U.S.  As everyone knows, if you are taken to Guantanamo, you must be a terrorist, right?

We turned into a nation where a large number of people condone the previously unthinkable.  All of a sudden, for too many people -- especially people in government and media -- torture became an unfortunate but acceptable way of extracting information, rather than a tool of tyranny that we had too much decency to resort to. And the level of fear became such that demagogues and bigots could feel comfortable saying outrageous things, such as "communities should be able to ban mosques if they want to," and where scarily high proportions of people believe that Muslims should not be allowed to sit on the Supreme Court (24% of respondents) or run for President (32%) and that simply by virtue of their religion Muslims cannot be patriotic Americans (25%).  So much for the first Amendment.* Where a blogger can be lauded by his commenters for suggesting, in a calm, rational, sad way that it is not only acceptable to kill children, but a moral imperative to do so.

One of the voices of sanity in an insane world, Paul Krugman, has called the years post 9/11 "The Years of Shame."  He gets it right.  Exactly.

We have allowed our fear to destroy our civic soul. We have placed a frantic need for illusory personal security above the ideals which purportedly underlie who we are as a nation.

The attacks on 9/11 were a challenge to all of us, and in the long run we failed.


We lost.

*I would include links to conservative Islamophobic blogs on this, but just reading the commentary made me ill, and I refuse to give them more traffic. (I know conservatives who are decent, rational people, and I think it is time that those of us in the progressive movement stop using "conservative" in a way that automatically equates to "racist.") I think it was the nicely formatted, very attractive blog which spewed the poison that Islam was by its very nature a threat to the U.S., and that Muslims should not be allowed to be in the country, let alone do anything as radical as hold public office, that bothered me the most.  The nastiest, most virulent hatred phrased in the most genteel, calm language. And I have linked to my post about the "killing children is okay" post rather than the original because the thought of revisiting the sewer that spawned that discussion makes me nauseous.

2 comments:

  1. Ma'am, I found you through a friend's LJ.

    I remember thinking in the days that came after 9/11/01 that all great nations, no matter who they are, have people trying to knock them down, terrorizing them. It was our turn. That's all.

    How we reacted to it, in my mind at that time, was going to tell the tale as to whether we were a great enough nation that we could withstand it, or whether we'd fall. Whether we could take it on the chin, rise up, and still live up to our ideals of a loving, inclusive society...(note I say ideals, I know things were not ideal for many groups even before this event).

    I prayed we'd be strong enough. I wondered if so many of the things I was seeing happen were the delusional mind of a pregnant woman (I was about a month and a half pregnant that September). Sadly it wasn't.

    However, with each new day brings a new chance to be better people. And each person has the choice whether to be those "better people" that don't give in to the fear...

    I live in faith that some day we will learn how to be great...I hope it will be in my lifetime. I'm trying to teach my daughter how to make the beter choices each day.

    - Faith (the virtual virtue from alt.callahans)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too hope that in our lifetime we recover what we've lost. I still have hope, but I am scared.

    Welcome to my blog, Faith!

    ReplyDelete