Monday, December 13, 2010

Thoughts for today....

It is diverting to look at the interests of one's Facebook friends, and notice how the different parts of your life meet up in a like of, say, bacon.  The thought of the individuals involved all in one room discussing bacon is amusing, particularly because they are otherwise such very different people.

I wonder if the chocolate pie recipe I developed a couple of weeks ago would be made better by the addition of sour cream or by the addition of ground chipotle and cinnamon.  (I don't think adding all of those would be very good.)  Maybe I will be forced (forced!) to make two chocolate pies next weekend.  My family will be pressed into service  as pie-tasters.  It's a tough job,  but somebody's got to do it.

I have just seen Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade for the nth time.  I am still  in love with Sean Connery.

Last night I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark.  I can pinpoint exactly when I fell totally and completely in love with the character (and not just for the "it's not the years, honey, it's the mileage" crack). I fell in love with Indiana Jones when he stood on the ridge on the island, and was unable to destroy the ark.  I understood that totally: I would have done likewise.  There are things which lie beyond our importance as mere human beings. (I also believe that he understood that once his bluff had been called he wasn't going to get out of there anyway, let alone with Marian.)

I now know what the letters LARP stand for.  Why someone would spend time doing such a thing is beyond me, but that is probably a failure of imagination on my part.  I've never quite understood the allure of the SCA and Ren Faire and Dickens Fair, either.  (Do not get me started on the historical inaccuracies in those last two.  Just don't.)  I have studied the Renaissance a little, and more to the point 19th Century England as a history major, and you could not pay me enough to change places with those people. Even the wealthy gentry. ESPECIALLY not as a woman.

Last night, Echidna Boy tossed out his theory of were-lawyers: some people are struck by the full moon, and instead of turning into wolves or howling, they send out law school applications.


A friend of mine just sent me the song "Mammal" by They Might Be Giants.  This makes me wonderfully happy, and will delight Echidna Boy as well, I know: the song mentions both echidnas and monotremes in general. It has displaced "Particle Man" and "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" as my second favorite TMBG song, and gives "Birdhouse in Your Soul" a close run for its money.

I spent this evening cleaning off the top of my dresser, a task somewhat akin to Heinrich Schliemann excavating Troy.  I am appalled by the amount of stuff I cleaned away, and even more appalled by the amount of it that wasn't even mine.  Since when did I become the owner of a Dr. John CD?  At least I was able to find the DVDs to the Muppet Show season 1 and the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice,

Ah well, it is late.  My bed calls, for I have a class tomorrow to learn PowerPoint.  Oh, joy.

'Night, everyone, sleep tight, and don't let the were-lawyers bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment