Tuesday, August 23, 2011

That's great, it starts with an earthquake

It's very odd to see all of my friends on the East Coast freaking out a bit about the 5.8 magnitude earthquake that hit Virginia this morning.  As someone who lived through the 1989 Loma Prieta quake, part of me feels really smug, but the larger part of me is very sympathetic to how unnerving it is to feel the ground move under your feet for the first time. [Edited to add: not to mention the problem of unreinforced masonry buildings.  At noon, I have yet to hear any damage/casualty reports, but I would not have wanted to be in a brick building in, say, Richmond this morning.]

Also, an absolutely on point xkcd comic.

And just think, later this week many of them will get hit by a hurricane, as well.  What's next, a plague of locusts?

No comments:

Post a Comment