Thursday, August 25, 2011

Heh. Poor Applebee's. Not.

I play trivia at several different venues.  The Loft in San Jose, Applebee's, St. Stephen's Green in Mountain View.  Different venues, different formats, different games.  I've done pretty well this week.  Although my team tanked at the Loft, our dinner was covered by virtue of the fifty dollar gift certificate I won (by myself) last week.  At St. Stephen's Green, I won a pitcher of beer by coming in second. (I got the manager to agree that I could get it at a future date, since I was playing by myself and driving.)

Applebee's is by far the easiest venue.  For one thing, people generally play as individuals.  This eliminates the team advantage.  Secondly, the questions are easier (and multiple choice, usually), and the rounds are timed, which means, by virtue of being fast (thank you, Jeopardy!) and secure in my knowledge (I know what I know) I can do well.  In the past I have cleaned up:  in the past eight weeks, I have won $130 at Applebee's -- and I have not even gone to most of the trivia nights. Of the six nights (out of a possible 16) I have been, I have participated in 15 rounds in two different formats.  I won 13 of them.  I have won more at Applebee's than I have ever spent at Applebee's.

Tonight at Applebee's, I had won the first two rounds when the manager came over, introduced himself, and told me that in the future there would be a "maximum two wins a night" rule, because, well, I had a reputation as winning all the time and "it's more fun if more than one person wins."  I understand that.  Although the rule was not in effect tonight, I took pity on everyone and left after three rounds -- all of which I had won.

I feel like a card-counter in Vegas.

I need a new business card: Pat Greene: Trivia Shark.

No comments:

Post a Comment