Monday, April 18, 2011

As a result of Jan finally having completely bit the dust, I have no access to my music.  Damn.

So I have been listening to a lot of Pandora, especially on the Droid.  The Mazda's sound system has likewise gone the way of the dodo, so it is a convenient way to listen to music while driving (absolutely necessary for me).

I keep hearing new music I love, and music I used to listen to that I forgot how much I love.  One of my channels is "Mary Chapin Carpenter Radio",  so I find myself listening to a lot of women songwriters in country and folk genres.

So far I have found one song I love love love that I had never heard before: "Let the Wind Chase You," by Trisha Yearwood, which led me via YouTube to Sally Barris's original.*  And I have rediscovered a song I adored when I went through my country music phase about eight years ago: the cover of Nanci Griffith's "Outbound Plane" by Suzy Bogguss.**

It's wonderful.  I can hardly wait until I get Jan's replacement (probably a month or so down the road, tentatively named either Eduoard (Manet), Claude (Monet), Chuck (Close) or Marc (Chagall)) so I can buy them for my iTunes.


*The best song I have ever heard for people suffering from unrequited love.  Even better than Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me."  Not that I have any experience with this.  Not, not at all.


**Yes, I know.  Griffith's voice is rawer, and a lot of people like that, in the same way that a lot of people (myself included) prefer John Hiatt's version of "Drive South" over of Bogguss's.  But I just love Suzy's voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment