Saturday, January 15, 2011

This should be interesting.

Lately, it occurred to me that no one in my family outside my husband and occasionally one of my kids had ever read my writing.  My mom never uses a computer, neither do my sisters or eldest brother, and while both my younger brother and my brother-in-law use computers extensively, they have never been told about the existence of this blog.

So I am compiling a book for them.  Although I am not including everything, I certainly am including a lot of political/social posts.  I am far, far more liberal than the rest of my family. (The closest I have gotten to a political discussion in the past five years was with my eldest sister who was explaining to me how global warming was a load of hogwash.  I ended the conversation because her daughter was getting married and as mother-of-the bride she did not need the extra stress of arguing with me.)  There are other issues in my life that I do not blog about that I may discuss with them as well -- I have not decided. This is a sort of coming out, as it were.

I expect that at least one of them will not be talking to me when this is all over.  My mom will be talking to me -- if for no other reason than to tell me she's praying for me, but then she does that anyway.

I plan to do it anyway.  I am far too old -- as are they -- for me to be hiding who I am.

3 comments:

  1. I hope it goes well for you. My mom never did take my coming out well, and, well, still makes it obvious that I'm not who she wants me to be. And I can't have political discussions with the vast majority of my family. I figure at this point they can see what I post to FB, and know about my blog (or at least can see the links) and take take me as they find me.

    Makes me appreciate my chosen family, and my friends, even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who also lives in my own little "closet", i understand your fear and honor the courage of your "coming out", whatever it is. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess a big incentive in me doing this is that my mother is 83. I want her to know me as I am, not as the chameleon (the role I have played so often in my family) that she knew -- or didn't know as a teenager and child.

    Hi Eden! Welcome to my blog!

    ReplyDelete