Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Gone to that great silicon pile in the sky....

Jan* has died.  Or, at least the hard drive has.  Attempts to run Disk Repair resulted in a message that the disk was beyond repair. With the exceptions of iTunes, any software would crash within seconds of being opened.  (Hey, my computer knows what's important.) I am now operating from the external hard drive I had been using for backups, named Francisco.*  Yes, I name my computers.**

Being the good addict, I made sure that my stash was secure:  the first thing I did was copy over Bejeweled and made sure it could run off Francisco.  Only after that did I deal with less important matters, like copying over my Job Search folders with some job leads and the latest versions of my resume.

And Firefox.  The thought of coping without the 'net was making me panic. 

Because what could I stand on without a soapbox?

 * Jan is named for Johannes (Jan) Vermeer.  Francisco is after Goya.  I had contemplated naming Jan Vincent, but was talked out of it.  Maybe my next computer will be Leonardo, or Domenikos (Theotokopolous, better known as El Greco).  Or Artemisia (Gentilleschi). Or Edward (Hopper).  Or Eduard (Munch). Or Henri (Toulouse-Latrec). So many artists, so few computers.


**I also name my cars:  the minivan is Bruce, after the shark in Finding Nemo (which was in turn named after the fake shark used by Steven Spielberg in Jaws) and the Mustang is Vincent, after Van Gogh. (Early on its life, Vincent had a knack of dying without warning. "Let's name it Vincent," I told my husband. "After Vincent Price, since it's black and mysterious?" "No, after Van Gogh, since it keeps trying to kill itself.")  I am still pondering a name for the used green Mazda.

No comments:

Post a Comment