Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Maybe I need more windmills...

Samuel Alito is now on the Supreme Court. The Administration continues to defend its domestic spying program. There is Plamegate and the Ambrahamoff scandal and war and discord and fear.

And this weekend my nine-year-old and I completed a massive construction project: we rebuilt the Santa Barbara mission in styrofoam, salt clay and construction paper. We did this while listening to show tunes together -- because although he proclaims loudly how much he dislikes them, it is always "except for...." "Rent" (the song, not the entire soundtrack -- he's too young for that), or "I Wanna Be a Producer" (from The Producers) or "Do You Hear the People Singing" (from Le Miserables) or, tonight, "The Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha. You cannnot imagine how wonderful it is to hear a boy soprano singing "This is my quest, to follow that star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far..."

The Republic will survive, somehow. Me, I have a knight I have to hang out with.

No comments:

Post a Comment