Wednesday, January 09, 2013

My new bucket list.

Since I am close to finishing my art museum list, and inspired by Ken Burns' series on the National Parks, I am creating a new list.  There are fifty-eight national parks (fifty-nine if you count Pinnacles which will be one very shortly), but I don't want to see all of them.

National Parks I have seen:
Yosemite
Crater Lake
Lassen
Carlsbad Caverns
Grand Canyon
Shenandoah.
Great Smoky Mountains
Petrified Forest
Pinnacles*
Redwood
Rocky Mountain
Sequoia
Zion

National Parks I want to see again:
Yosemite: in spring, when the falls are full, and in winter.  I have only seen it in summer and fall.
Carlsbad Caverns
Grand Canyon
Shenandoah
Great Smoky Mountains
Petrified Forest
Pinnacles
Zion

National Parks I have never seen that I want to see (with appropriate emphasis):
Acadia
American Samoa
Biscayne
Bryce Canyon
Congaree
Denali
Dry Tortugas!
Everglades!**
Glacier Bay
Hawaii Volcanoes!!
Mesa Verde
Olympic
Mount Rainier
Virgin Islands!!!!***
Yellowstone

I think the twenty-two parks mentioned in those last two lists should be good for years of traveling.  And that doesn't include any of the hundreds of National Monuments, National Battlefield Parks, National Historical Parks, National Historic Sites, National Memorials...

I want to head out and hit the highway.

Next up, a pipe dream:  the ten hotels in the United States I want to stay in if I win the lottery.

*Legislation passed the Senate upgrading Pinnacles from Monument to Park December 31st. -- it heads to the President, who is expected to sign it.  Apparently, the Senate took time off from dealing with the fiscal cliff to deal with another type of cliff.
**Yes, I know.  I grew up in Florida and I have never visited the Everglades.  My kids have grown up in the San Francisco Bay area and except for the Not-So-Little Drummer boy have never visited Alcatraz.
***I have been to St. Croix.  The National Park is the island of St. John.

No comments:

Post a Comment