Friday, November 17, 2006

More probably uninteresting tidbits about my musical tastes. Mainly because I'm bored.

I have a lot of playlists on my iTunes, which make more or less sense. There's "Broadway," and "No Garth C0untry," and artist-specific ones such as "Great Big Sea." And then there are the rand0m-organizing-principle playlists, such as:

"The Name of the Game" (songs in no particular order):

"My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder " Weird Al Yankovic
"Come On Eileen" Dexy's Midnight Runners
"The Downeaster “Alexa”" Billy Joel
"Tango: Maureen" Rent:Original Broadway Cast
"A Boy Named Sue" Johnny Cash
"Sloop John B" Beach Boys
"Sweet Baby James"* James Taylor
"Guinnevere" Crosby, Stills & Nash
"Amazing Grace" Judy Collins
"Maggie May" Rod Stewart
"Old Polina" Great Big Sea
"Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard" Paul Simon
"Gee, Officer Krupke" West Side Story: Orginal Cast Recording
"Lady Madonna" The Beatles
"Layla" Derek and the Dominoes
"Layla" Eric Clapton**
"Boston and St. John's" Great Big Sea
"Bruce's Philosophers Song" Monty Python
"The Moon And St. Christopher" Mary Chapin Carpenter
"Matthew" John Denver
"Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" Bruce Springsteen
"Uncle John's Band" Grateful Dead
"Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" Elton John
"Cleopatra, Queen Of Denial" Pam Tillis

and so on and so forth -- that's about half the list.

I also have playlists called "Professionally Speaking," "H2O" and "By the Numbers," not to mention the more boring "Geography."

Oh, and Mad Priest, if you read this? Unlike your musical tastes, this list is seriously unhip, and I recognize that. I embrace my unhippness... I'm a mini-van driving, stay-at-home mother of three, you don't get much less hip than that. It's only in my other life that I am in fact an international espionage agent and racontuer.

And after all, somebody's got to listen to all those John Denver and Billy Joel albums.



* The rocket scientist insists that I named the Not-So-Little Drummer Boy after this song. He's wrong.
** Which is better? I don't know. The first (which is horribly mixed -- the piano completely drowns out the guitar solo in the second part of the song) is a young man's song, all full of passion and "I'm going to die if I don't get you;" the second is the song of a guy who's been around the block quite a few times and knows full well that if she turns him down he'll live, and even probably hit on the next pretty face at the party. I love listening to them back to back.

2 comments:

  1. two thoughts--

    one, I'm dying to know who Mad Priest is.

    two, who am I, Cowboy Boots Priest? Priest-With-A-Bat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mad Priest is Jonathan, who is a priest at St. Francis, Newcastle Upon Tyne, England. His blog is Of Course, I Could Be Wrong. You, sir, having progressed from the Texas Seminarian on through to the Texas Deacon are now the Texas Priest. Priest with a bat could work too -- I can't remember seeing you wear cowboy boots. Not that you don't now, just that you didn't when you lived back on the coast, or not that I noticed.

    ReplyDelete