Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Baseball, hurrah!

The real baseball season is over. Now the playoffs begin.

My beloved Mets* are in there, starting out against the Dodgers. They smoked the regular season, but as the other adult in my house can tell you, regular season performance means squat at this point. *cough*Atlanta*cough*

The hated Yankees are in the playoffs too, again, against the Tigers. Is there anyone in the country outside of NYC not pulling for Detroit? They were next to last in their division last year! And the year before that, and the year before that they came within one loss of breaking the 1962 Mets record for most losses in a single season, setting the American League record for single season losses in the process. They give hope to those of us who root for perennial bottom dwellers -- like my boys in St. Petersburg.**

The As, who I'm pulling for because they're the team local to me that I actually like (Giants -- boo! hiss!), are playing the Twins. The As are good guys, it would be nice to see them advance out of the first round.

And the Cardinals (eh) are playing the Padres (eh). Albert Pujols is fun to watch, though.

And one of the best parts? The Braves are not in the playoffs, for the first time in forever, which means I will not have to deal with the other adult in the house being in a bad mood after they are (inevitably) eliminated.

Play ball!



* In case you're wondering how a Florida girl became a Mets fan when she had never been to New York and had no relatives from New York, they used to train in St. Pete, before moving across state to Port St. Lucie. On the other hand, for a long time I was a fan of the Los Angeles (now St. Louis) Rams football team because I liked their helmet design. So you never can tell.

**They would be the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, who play in Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg. I started to write "my boys in Tampa Bay," but that would have made them awfully soggy.

2 comments:

  1. pujols is a big ugly gorilla. My opinion, of course, has nothing to do with the 600-foot home run he hit off my Astros last year about this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, of course it doesn't.: ) But then, if I recall correctly, you don't like the Mets, either... So, you're pulling for the American League in the World Series?

    I would like to note that, for the first time ever, all of the teams I wanted to advance out of a round did. There really is no downside in the AL, I'm going to be happy whichever team wins. Which means I only have one LCS to stress over.

    By the way, good to see that the Longhorns stomped Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete